Thursday, September 14, 2006

my christian spirituality

I just read the book titled Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller. It is a very interesting book and it got me thinking about a lot of my beliefs about God, religion, social justice, the environment, etc. I went to Don's website and started reading some thing, found a link to some very good, free music (freederekwebb.com) and then via a google search I found some links to articles written by people that do not like Donald Miller. After reading and clicking on links and reading and clicking and reading and... well, you get the picture. Anyway, I found myself very curious about the emerging / emergent church, house churches, traditional church and traditional concepts about living out my faith in daily life. My readings of traditional religious leaders critizing Don lead me to articles / blogs critical of Rick Warren and the Purpose Driven Chruch / Life. I know people that are members of his church (Saddleback Church) who have been radically changed for Christ and who have contributed immensly to the church. The attacks on his ministry by these traditional religious leaders got me thinking that maybe they've got it all wrong. All of this to say that while I have certain beliefs about some of these things and I know why I believe, I do need to look at some of the concepts and foundations of my faith from different angles. I need to take a step back and think a little more about what I believe and why I believe it. We sometimes take what we have been taught as final truth when there may be more than one way to look at certain aspects of life. I am commencing a continuous journey of discovery. My great-grandfather read the Bible all the way through literally 100s of times and yet, in his 70s, he was excited to tell my dad about something new he had learned in the Bible that day. My goal is to be as my great-grandfather; ever learning, ever discovering and continuously sharing my discovery with others.

No comments: