Friday, June 23, 2006

soccer words

I sent this email to newsdesk@soccernet.com. I get really irritated when the news media doesn't write about soccer using words that americans can identify with but I've never complained about it. Now I have.

--------------------------

Why do reporters continue to use “non-american” words to talk about soccer in the media? Why do you think Americans can’t get into the sport? They can’t even remember the “right” words to say!

Let me give you a few examples from the following article: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=371576&root=worldcup&cc=5901

1. “They are team-mates at Real Madrid, the inseparable jokers of the Brazilian side and they share sponsors for everything from banks to boots.”

My comments: boots? Unless you are talking about cowboy boots, why can you not just say “shoes”? Who in the US calls soccer shoes boots??????????

2. “But for all their affinity off the pitch…”

My comments: why do people continue to refer to the soccer field as the pitch? Really, if it’s a football field, baseball field, why not a soccer field??

3. “…experience on his footballing CV.”

My comments: So at this point it’s pretty obvious that this is not an American writing this column. Can’t we just say SOCCER when we are writing in American English? …and if you asked a 22 year old American for his CV, he wouldn’t know what you’re talking about. Not many people do. So since soccer is the sport of the masses, let’s say “soccer resume”.

4. “In fact, Robinho can justifiably point to the fact that it was with him in the side in place of Ronaldo”

My comments: “in the side”? Who outside of a soccer person is going to know what that means? Can’t we be like all other normal sports and say “on the team”?

Listen, I’m a huge soccer fan. I love the sport and I want to see it continue to grow in the US. But how are you going to get non-soccer people to even talk about it or understand what you write if you don’t use common words that everyone can understand?

Andrew, I am glad you write and I do enjoy your perspective, but please try to write in “common American” English so that non-soccer fans can understand and get into the game a little more.

Thanks,
Jeremy

No comments: